Our Churches‎ > ‎

St Giles' Church, Camberwell - some history



Copyright from British History online prevent us from reproducing their text on this page, however you can access their history of the Parish of St Giles. The following page will draw out some fun and pertinent points from their text and others whilst attempting to avoid copyright violation:

* Camberwell was mentioned in the Doomsday book, published in 1086.  From its entry, we know that it was considered, by Doomsday standards, to be well populated.  It had 29 households, 63 acres of meadowland and paid a large amount of tax.  Most importantly, from our point of view, it had a church.

Camberwell doomsday
(Doomsday Book image made available by 
Prof J. J. N Palmer and George Slater and 
reproduced under Creative Commons BY-SA).

*  The prefix of Camberwell, "Cam" can be translated as "crooked".  Given its suffix, it's likely that the area had Springs.  There's a possibility that people suffering from ailments might have sought healing in the Springs because the church is named after St Giles, the patron saint of beggars, poor people and people with physical disabilities.  Camberwell may thus be rendered "the well of the crooked".  An alternative explanation is that a well, or waters were discovered by a man named Camber.

To be continued....

The old church...


Comments